Wednesday 21 March 2012

Human Rights' Day


Today, South Africa celebrates Human Rights' Day on the 52nd anniversary of the Sharpeville massacre. In 1960, 12 years into the Apartheid era, a number of PAC-affiliated civilians gathered outside the Sharpeville police station to protest against the pass laws which required all black South Africans to carry a identity booklet around with them. The police, without warning, opened fire on the protesters and killed 69 people - many of whom were shot in the back as they attempted to escape being shot. As a black South African, I am incredibly indebted to these brave souls who risked their lives in order for me to enjoy the freedom and opportunities that I have today. South African history is enticingly interesting and I never get bored or tired of watching a documentary which illustrates just how far my country has come in terms of eradicating racial discrimination from society. Although the legacy of Apartheid still lives on and the racial stratification according to wealth and class still exists, one cannot ignore the strides we have made as a nation. I am so incredibly proud to be a South African. I love my country and I am glad that our constitution has become a beacon of light to nations who wish to emulate how we have provided for human rights.

I've also included a link to a rather well-made and well-researched American documentary below which speaks of the pass laws in South Africa and how they affected female and male civilians. Enjoy people :)

No comments:

Post a Comment